Are you always carrying around an antibacterial sanitizer or continuously buying products with the name “antibacterial” on them? Think again……Almost everything we use to clean ourselves has some form of antibacterial agent including TOOTHPASTE (EWWWW). We have become a generation of Germaphobes. So much so, that we even carry sanitizer that looks more bedazzled and decorated than our phones. Walk into any large market and check out the new sanitizers, they are PINK, BEJEWELED, and slapped with STUFF I used to decorate my ice skating outfits with. This new desperate marketing tool is trying to overcome the recent years of research that antibacterial agents are actually not beneficial to our society at all. In fact studies upon studies in the last 10 yrs are fighting to minimize the population’s use of antibacterial sanitizers.
Why is this important information to YOU? OK LETS do a Top 5 Reasons countdown……
5) Personal Endorsement- Fresh Skin For You Blog endorses things that are good for your skin. Most of these products carry alcohol and all I have been preaching is that alcohol can really dry your skin out especially if it is inappropriately used. Your skin cells need nutrition and plenty of moisture.
4) Development of Resistance- many of these sanitizers do not kill all the bacteria on your skin or in your home. Weaker bacteria gets killed first but the stronger bacterial survive and replicate. Causing LITERALLY a world health crisis according the Center of Disease Control because we cannot continuously keep up with killing these newer and stronger forms of bacteria. YIKES!
3) Super Bugs- Sanitizers used to only be seen in hospitals to help kill off infections that only develop in people who are sick or who have low immunity-hence hospitalized patients. However, now sanitizers have crossed over into the everyday home leading to the development of SUPER BUGS like MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphlococcus aureus) a hospital infection that never caused many complications until NOW.
2) GET DIRTY (welllllllll kinda dirty)- Now there is a link between too much hygiene and increased allergy. Our immune systems are being neglected from exposure to everyday bacteria our ancestors have survived from. We need the exposure to build our immunity-THAT’S A FACT. The more we hide ourselves from bacteria, we inadvertently prevent our immune systems from maturing and hence we become sensitive to certain exposures such as allergies. Why do you think kids are developing more asthma and eczema now-a-days? Because we are afraid to roll them in the dirt.
1) Not for my sake but for yours, understand that simple soap and water hand washing is something people have been doing for hundreds of years and studies have shown it to be just as effective if not more than using antibacterial sanitizers. Also many of these products contain Triclosan. A product that has many toxicity concerns. This chemical pollutes rivers, waters, and can be toxic to wildlife. This chemical can accumulate in our body and interfere with many hormones such as our thyroid hormone (TSH).
SOOOOO….. We will never free ourselves from bacteria but we should make peace with them. In fact we have millions of bacteria on our skin that symbiotically help us survive.
Those who DO NOT endorse using sanitizers:
Centers for Disease Control
FDA Advisory Panel
Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology
American Journal of Public Health
Clinical Infectious Diseases
National Institute of Health
American Academy of Pediatrics
Bill Nye The Science Guy----- hahaha remember him?
And many more……
LOVE YOUR GERMS LIKE I DO...........